Wednesday 25 June, 2008

Oxymora. What ra?

While I was writing the post on 'Colourful Black Horse', I googled the word ‘oxymoron.’ Apart from Wiki, which gave me the title of this post Oxymora – rarely used plural of ‘oxymoron’ - there is this interesting site www.oxymorons.info.

So many oxymorons are listed on this site under various categories such as Newly added, Top favorites, Daily oxymoron, etc, and also under various subjects such as Arts, Business, Religion, and so on. We use many of these quite often without thinking of them as oxymorons.

Try these … Act normally, fighting for peace, final draft, vaguely aware, jumpo shrimp, …

But why are these considered oxymora – Labor Day, Life Insurance, etc. I don’t know. :-)

6 comments:

J. Andrew Lockhart 29 June 2008 at 9:36 am  

interesting thoughts :)

Anonymous 23 July 2008 at 6:54 pm  

Woah! And just today I had used oxymorons for plural! But then dictionary.com said such a word existed! And I had to use this cause the line was "don’t you love these oxymorons, they are such morons!" :-D

M.Rose 24 July 2008 at 12:04 am  

Nice food for thought

Its miracle we use all these words daily without knowing what we are saying. Take 'Jihad', for example-Its called a 'holy war'! What's "holy" about "war", I'll never know.

Arun Meethale Chirakkal 24 July 2008 at 10:26 am  

Hi,
Nice post. But when I
clicked the link you provided as a site for oxymorons, I was directed to some technical website. Could you please provide the correct link.

Bindhu Unny 24 July 2008 at 8:17 pm  

Andrew: Thanks :-)
Cris: Oxymorons is more common. Oxymora is outdated I guess. :-)
Rose: You are right. What's holy about war? :-)
Arun: I am sorry. The link was wrong. Pl use www.oxymorons.info
:-)

Arun Meethale Chirakkal 25 July 2008 at 2:30 pm  

Yup, got it. Thanks a lot.

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP