Wednesday 4 March, 2009

So much I don’t know!

I went there to help them learn
And, I learned how much I don’t know
Or how much I am yet to learn!
I don’t know what to do…
When a kid refuses to respond
When a kid keeps fidgeting
When a kid says he/she hasn’t seen
The things we take for granted
I don’t know what to say…
When a kid stumbles at table of two
When a kid can’t read ‘tie’
When a kid says he/she couldn’t study
Because parents were fighting
I know I’ve failed to help them learn
And I’ve failed to learn
Still, I am trying…

(Thoughts from my volunteering experience at Akanksha, an NGO involved in teaching less-privileged children)

7 comments:

Dhanya 5 March 2009 at 9:45 pm  

When I first started volunteering I was also in the same stage. But don't worry you will outgrow this stage soon and will know how to handle them all effectively :)

Bindhu Unny 6 March 2009 at 1:16 pm  

Thanks Dhanya. Nice to know that. :-)

mathew 7 March 2009 at 12:21 am  

yes..so true..probably we are so used to our luxurious lives that we dont even realise it as luxury..

Bindhu Unny 7 March 2009 at 10:08 pm  

Mathew: You are right. I think I started appreciating the previously-ignored minor pleasures of life after interacting with these kids.
:-)

Anonymous 10 March 2009 at 1:27 pm  

i tried couple of yrs back and gave up blaming it on not knowing kannada well :) good to see that u r trying. all the best

Bindhu Unny 12 March 2009 at 3:27 pm  

Sandeep: In Akanksha, the medium is English. So I can manage. :-)

Sean Jeating 4 December 2009 at 1:50 am  

Glad I stumbled upon this.
Good thoughts, nicely put. Thank you.

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP