Monday 24 November, 2008

Too lazy to be an addict …

When Dhanya tagged me to do this post on Addictions, I thought it’s too easy. But it’s not! When I started thinking about my addictions, I realized I am too lazy to be an addict. Nevertheless, there are passing crazes. Maybe one can call it short-term addictions (an oxymoron, right?). There are quite a few of them. I keep shifting from one craze to another. The trigger comes out of no where, and it can last for a day or two, or a few weeks. Not more than that.

So this should be good for me. But when I am addicted to something, I postpone many other things – even the routine work. I’ll find a way not to do them. For instance, buying vegetables – a quick look at the stock of pulses, potatoes, and onions, and the problem is solved; vegetables can wait for one more day.

When I am crazy about blogging, there’ll be regular posts on my blogs. I’ll be gleefully checking various aggregators and bookmarked blogs, dropping my precious (?) comments all over. But all these seem so unappealing sometimes. And some blogger friends have to tag me to keep my blog alive!

If I get bitten by bookworm, I devour all unread books that had got piled up (when I was drowned in other crazes). Then it's time for more book shopping. And there are days when even the newspaper remains unopened (if Unny’s not at home)

When cooking catches my fancy, out come the old recipe books. A cookery show on TV could trigger this. It’s fun to shop for new ingredients, try out new recipes, re-work recipes to suit my taste, and such. My latest contribution to cookery world is an energy bar made of oats, jaggery, dates, raisins, cashew nuts, and almonds. I'll be taking it for the next trek.

Another TV show or getting a fancy box/paper/bottle could lead to a bout of craft-making, especially from waste. I’ll be at my creative best then!

Talking about TV, while on most days it remains switched off or only tuned to news channels, on some days I lap up any remotely interesting program on those ‘n’ number of channels. Braving the long ad breaks, I’ve watched many a Hindi/English movie during these crazy phases.

All these crazes had taken leave of absence while I was working full-time. But not reading! I used to carry books to read during lunch breaks in office! Now that I am at home full-time, they have slowly started raising their heads.

The latest one is sewing - from which I took a break (with a lot of effort) and writing this post. It’s time to brush up my sewing skills and create great outfits. The old notebook and patterns were hunted out; sewing machine got a thorough overhaul. The patterns were those of the 1990s. Reverse engineering helped – unstitch old clothes, take measurements, cut out new patterns. Old bed sheets got furiously converted into tops, salwar-kameezes, and capris. Learning from mistakes, I perfected the patterns, and tried my skills on a new cloth. And wore the result recently for a wedding reception. Alas! Friends were impressed.

Excited and inspired, I will be sewing new outfits for ‘God knows how long’! :-)

4 comments:

The one who has loved and lost 24 November 2008 at 8:58 pm  

That red dress looks very sexy!
Appo chechi oru jack-athi of all trades aanu :D

Dhanya 24 November 2008 at 9:18 pm  

I thought I'm the only one with such varying crazes.. Now I know there are more in the flock :)

Arun Meethale Chirakkal 25 November 2008 at 11:04 am  

So many addictions. Hyper active?The best thing is the energy bar. It looks so so delicious that I'm really craving for one, please tell how to make it, provided that it tastes equally good. Nice to see you back. One by one, those in my blogroll are coming back. So I've decided not to go on with the cry "recession seems to have hit even the bloggers."

Bindhu Unny 25 November 2008 at 1:30 pm  

Deepu: Master of none - ennoode paranjaale complete aavu. :-)
Dhanya: Join the club :-)
Arun: Energy bar tastes good, but you need to like the taste of oats. 1. Dry roast oats and powder it.
2. Make jaggery syrup and add oats powder. Stir till it's thick.
3. Add chopped dry fruits and nuts. Mix well.
4. Spread on a greased plate and mark with a knife.
5. Separate at the marks when it's cool.
Try it and let me know. :-)

  © Blogger template 'External' by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP